At Dischley Law, PLLC, we understand that dealing with traffic violations can be a daunting experience. Virginia's point system and penalties for traffic misdemeanors can significantly affect your driving record, insurance rates, and even your driving privileges. As a trusted legal firm, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of Virginia's traffic laws and provide expert representation when you need it most.
Understanding Virginia's Point System
Virginia operates on a point system that assigns demerit points for traffic violations. Accumulating points on your driving record can result in fines, license suspensions, and increased insurance premiums. Knowing how many points you have and the potential penalties associated with your situation is crucial.
For instance, common traffic violations like speeding, reckless driving, driving without a license, and running a red light can add demerit points to your driving record. The number of points depends on the severity of the offense. For instance, speeding 1 to 9 mph over the limit results in 3 points, while exceeding the limit by 20 mph or more results in 6 points.
Navigating Traffic Violation Penalties
When you accumulate too many points within a specific timeframe, Virginia's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) may take action against your driving privileges. The penalties for point accumulation are as follows:
- 12 Points in 12 Months: If you accumulate 12 points within 12 months, your license may be suspended for 30 days.
- 18 Points in 12 Months: Accumulating 18 points within 12 months may result in a 90-day license suspension.
- 24 Points in 24 Months: If you accumulate 24 points within 24 months, your license may be suspended for one year.
Moreover, receiving specific demerit points could lead to mandatory driver improvement courses or require you to complete a behind-the-wheel exam to maintain driving privileges.
Defending Against Traffic Misdemeanors
At Dischley Law, PLLC, our experienced traffic violation defense attorneys are well-versed in Virginia's traffic laws and have a track record of successfully defending clients facing misdemeanor charges. We understand that even minor traffic violations can have significant consequences, and we are dedicated to protecting your rights and minimizing the impact on your driving record.
When you hire us to represent you, we will thoroughly review the circumstances of your case, gather evidence, and explore all available options to build a strong defense strategy tailored to your unique situation. We aim to have charges reduced or dismissed, ensuring your driving record remains as clean as possible.
The Benefits of Legal Representation
Facing traffic violation misdemeanors without proper legal representation can be risky, as the consequences can be severe. By choosing Dischley Law, PLLC, you can access our in-depth knowledge of Virginia's traffic laws and our extensive experience handling traffic violation cases.
- Reduced Penalties: Our attorneys will work diligently to negotiate with prosecutors and aim for reduced penalties whenever possible.
- Case Dismissal: We will explore all avenues to challenge the evidence against you, ultimately dismissing your case.
- Preserving Driving Privileges: We understand the importance of maintaining your driving privileges and will fight to ensure your license remains intact.
- Peace of Mind: With our experienced attorneys, you can know that your case is in capable hands.
Our team of dedicated attorneys is ready to provide you with the solid legal representation you need to protect your rights and driving privileges.
Navigating Virginia's point system and penalties can be overwhelming, but with the proper legal counsel, you can have a fighting chance to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Contact Dischley Law, PLLC, today if you or a loved one is facing traffic violation misdemeanors in Virginia!