Aggressive & Innovative Defense Strategies
Manassas Misdemeanor Lawyer
Committed To Protecting Your Future
Even seemingly minor criminal offenses can quickly derail your life if they lead to misdemeanor charges. A conviction in a misdemeanor case can result in jail time, substantial fines, and other life-altering penalties. In the state of Virginia, criminal convictions also remain on your record indefinitely, imperiling your ability to find a job or a place to live.
If you are charged with any type of misdemeanor offense, you will need someone on your side that will do everything possible to protect you. Our Manassas misdemeanor attorneys at Dischley Law, PLLC have over 30 years of experience advocating for our clients in a wide variety of criminal matters and can leverage our knowledge to aid you in your case.
What Are the Misdemeanor Classes?
Misdemeanor offenses are categorized under 4 “classes” in the state of Virginia, each with corresponding sentencing guidelines for convictions. The type and severity of the offense will determine under which class you are charged.
What Is the Penalty for a Misdemeanor?
- Class 1 misdemeanors carry a maximum prison sentence of 1 year and/or a fine of up to $2,500
- Class 2 misdemeanors carry a maximum prison sentence of up to 6 months in prison and/or a fine of up to $1,000
- Class 3 misdemeanors carry a maximum fine of $500
- Class 4 misdemeanors carry a maximum fine of $250
Why It Is Important To Fight Any Virginia Misdemeanor Charge
Convictions for Class 3 or Class 4 misdemeanors result in relatively minor penalties. They do not involve the possibility of jail time, and the associated fines are manageable for many. However, you should always explore your legal options when charged with any crime – no matter how insignificant it may seem. Any criminal conviction can jeopardize your ability to maintain employment or access housing. Many Virginia employers and landlords utilize background checks for prospective employees and tenants, and any misdemeanor conviction will likely be flagged.
Additionally, many Class 3 and Class 4 misdemeanors are associated with traffic violations that can result in a suspended or revoked driver’s license if you accumulate too many “points” on your record. This can be devastating for those who rely on their cars for work or getting around.
How Dischley Law, PLLC in Manassas Can Assist With Your Case
Our team at Dischley Law, PLLC can aggressively fight any Virginia misdemeanor offense, no matter how its scale or complexity. We have an extensive knowledge of the state’s criminal defense statutes and can draw upon our decades of experience to build an effective legal strategy for your case. Our Manassas misdemeanor lawyers understand that your future is at stake and will leave no stone unturned in pursuing the best possible outcome.
We Can Help You with Cases Involving:
- Drug offenses. Simple possession and some possession with intent to distribution offenses can be charged as misdemeanors depending on the quantity and type of controlled substances involved.
- DUIs. First-time offenses for driving under the influence will be charged as misdemeanors, but future offenses – or those that result in injury or death – may be prosecuted as felonies.
- Firearm offenses. Reckless handling of firearms and carrying concealed weapons can both lead to misdemeanor charges.
- Traffic offenses. In addition to DUIs, instances of reckless driving or operating a vehicle with a suspended or revoked license can also trigger misdemeanor charges.
- Petty theft. Shoplifting and petit larceny offenses involving items valued under $1,000 will generally be prosecuted as misdemeanors.
- Violent crimes. Depending on the situation, assault and battery and domestic violence cases can lead to misdemeanor charges.
Learn more about your legal options when facing charges by scheduling a free initial consultation with a Manassas misdemeanor attorney from our team. Call (703) 215-9337 or contact us online to get started.
“I chose Dischley Law in part because they are a Veteran-owned firm, but also because of their competitive fees and the compassion they demonstrated as I described my case during the consultation”- C.G.
“After receiving a Reckless Driving summons in Fairfax, VA, I contacted a number of lawyers. I found my conversation with Dischley Law to be the most helpful and comforting.”- R.M.
“You will not find a more caring and proactive attorney in your search for effective representation. David gets right to the heart of the case, finds the defenses, and presents them at the right time.”- J.M.
Responsive. Assertive. Accomplished.
More reasons to Choose Our Firm:
We've Served Our Country & Community Through Military Service & As Former Prosecutors
We Have Over 30 Years of Combined Legal Experience
We Are Boutique Firm With Large Firm Experience & Reputation
We Use Knowledge, Strategy & Innovation to Produce Results
Our Firm Is Top-Rated & Award-Winning
Your Initial Consultation Is Free & Confidential