Aggressive & Innovative Defense Strategies
Manassas Drug Crime Lawyer
Facing Drug Charges in Virginia?
Drug charges are some of the most common criminal offenses in Virginia. Convictions of these criminal offenses result in a criminal record and cause major disruptions in a person’s life. In fact, the mere accusation of possessing any controlled substance or possessing with the intent to distribute can result in the termination of employment. Dischley Law, PLLC can save you from the possible effects a drug charge conviction in Manassas can have on your family and livelihood.
Call Our Criminal Defense Attorneys
Can Drug Charges Be Dropped?
From simple possession to possession with intent to distribute (PWID); drug charges are serious. Therefore, if convicted, you are looking at the potential of jail, high fines, loss of federal education loan benefits, and government subsidies. However, despite harsh Virginia drug laws, important statutes exist that, if applied properly, help you avoid a conviction for a drug charge.
Types of Drug Charges We Can Assist With
Dischley Law’s Attorneys all prosecuted drug charges in Virginia. Attorney O’Brien spent most of his career focused on the prosecution of drug offenses. Consequently, our Manassas drug crime attorneys know what prosecutors want and need to hear to consider alternative resolutions for drug charges. Our proactive approach ensures that when we speak to the prosecutor on your behalf, your interests are protected.
What Substance Have You Been Charged With Possessing or Distributing?
- Marijuana (distribution only)
- Prescription Drugs (Examples: Oxycodone, Adderall and Xanax)
- LSD (a.k.a. Acid)
- MDMA (a.k.a. Ecstasy or Molly)
Contact our firm online today to schedule a consultation with a Manassas drug crime attorney from our firm.
What Are Scheduled Drugs?
Substances are placed within 5 drug schedules based on the Controlled Substances Act. This scheduling categorizes drugs based on the potential for abuse as well as medical usage. For example, Schedule 1 substances have a higher risk of being abused and have no medical purpose, while Schedule 5 drugs are considered less addictive and can be used for medical purposes.
What Are Schedule 1 Drugs?
What Are Schedule 2 Drugs?
What Are Schedule 3 Drugs?
- Aspirin with Codeine or Hydrocodone
- Anabolic Steroids
What Are Schedule 4 Drugs?
Challenging Drug Charges in Virginia
When your Manassas drug crime lawyer reviews your case, he will be looking at a number of factors to determine whether the Commonwealth has sufficient evidence to prove its case and whether that evidence was legally obtained.
Factors Our Attorneys Will Review:
- The Stop: A careful look at the initial interaction with law enforcement and its validity.
- The Search: An in depth analysis of the constitutionality of the search that lead to the recovery of the substance.
- Statements: Were the statements voluntarily given, the result of a knowing and intelligent waiver of Miranda, or covered by some exception.
- Possession: Actual or Constructive – was the substance found on the person or close enough to the person that they could exercise dominion and control.
- Knowledge: Consider whether the possession was knowingly and intentional. A person must know the nature and character of the substance.
- Analysis of the Substance: How was the substance initially analyzed to determine what classification it is. Field test or sent to lab.
- Ensuring all rights protected.
Drug Charges: Protecting Yourself
If you have drugs on you, make the officer ‘seize you.’ If the officers order you to stop, search you despite you not giving consent, and force you to make statements under duress or coercion, they need to justify it under the Constitution. If it is not justified, it is not lawful and the charges must be dropped. All too often individuals make the case for the officer by consenting and confessing. Do not let this happen to you.
How to Protect Yourself from a Drug Charge
- REMAIN SILENT – This means not answering the police EVER or AT ALL.
- CONSENT TO NOTHING – Do not agree to a search, do not agree to answer questions – agree to nothing.
- KEEP WALKING – If a cop approaches you and says can I ask you a few question, or can I speak to you, or even hello. Say nothing and keep walking. Make him stop you.
Assertive and successful defenses start the moment the interaction with the officer starts. A Manassas drug crime attorney cannot win a case for you when you have cooperated fully with law enforcement. With prior law enforcement experience, its hard to give this advice. Most times, you want to strike a balance between being cooperative and protecting yourself. When in doubt, say nothing, agree to nothing, and ask if you can leave. Be polite and do not make the officers job harder than it already is. If he tells you turn around, turn around but only when he ‘orders’ you to do it.
Call (703) 215-9337 or contact us online to schedule an appointment with a Manassas drug crime lawyer from our team
“I chose Dischley Law in part because they are a Veteran-owned firm, but also because of their competitive fees and the compassion they demonstrated as I described my case during the consultation”- C.G.
“After receiving a Reckless Driving summons in Fairfax, VA, I contacted a number of lawyers. I found my conversation with Dischley Law to be the most helpful and comforting.”- R.M.
“You will not find a more caring and proactive attorney in your search for effective representation. David gets right to the heart of the case, finds the defenses, and presents them at the right time.”- J.M.
Responsive. Assertive. Accomplished.
More reasons to Choose Our Firm:
We've Served Our Country & Community Through Military Service & As Former Prosecutors
We Have Over 30 Years of Combined Legal Experience
We Are Boutique Firm With Large Firm Experience & Reputation
We Use Knowledge, Strategy & Innovation to Produce Results
Our Firm Is Top-Rated & Award-Winning
Your Initial Consultation Is Free & Confidential
Contact us for a
Call (703) 215-9337 or Submit This Form